The only camp with training on the Patriot swim, bike and run courses
Sun Multisport Events in partnership with the coaches at Vescio Multisport Performance Services (Vmps) will host the 5th annual Patriot Half Training Camp. To be held Saturday, May 21, 2016 at Cathedral Camp in east Freetown, MA, this training camp is ideal for anyone training to race the Patriot Half or anyone preparing to compete in their first half iron (it's not just for Patriot Half athletes!). This full day camp includes swim, bike and run clinics on the Patriot Half course as well as classroom instruction to help you ace your half distance triathlon experience.
Vmps coaches specializing in open water swimming, cycling technique, running form, nutrition, tapering and more will be on hand to share their expertise and answer your questions. To maximize the learning opportunity the coach to athlete ratio will be 15 to 1 (if not better). Also on hand will be Mark Walter, USAT Certified Race Director for the Patriot Half.
AT RIGHT: Athletes prepare for the Open Water Swim Clinic at a past Patriot Half Camp.
OWS Clinic Option: As an alternative to the full day camp, athletes also have the option to participate in just the Open Water Swim (OWS) Clinic segment of the camp. Athletes that select this option would participate in the same OWS clinic as athletes participating in the full camp would experience from 8:30am to 10:00am. The OWS clinic is designed to help swimmers of all levels become more confident and effective during the swim segment of a triathlon. Participants spend the majority of the clinic in the lake practicing the skills needed in open water swimming. Fearful beginners work on learning how to relax and breathe while swimming in a lake. Intermediate and advanced swimmers work on skills like sighting and drafting which will help them to navigate the swim course in a triathlon more quickly. All this is done under the watchful eyes of experienced coaches and life guards.
- $180 until 10/31/15
- $195 from 11/1/15 thru 12/31/15
- $210 from 1/1/16 thru 2/28/16
- $225 from 3/1/16 and thereafter
You can save $30 on the training camp when you register for the Patriot Half race and camp at the same time. Click here to register for both.
The TENTATIVE camp schedule is as follows:
- 8:00AM-8:15AM: Registration/check-in/change into wetsuits for open water swim
- 8:15AM-8:30AM: Welcome/Introduction
- 8:30AM-9:00AM: Seminar on open water swimming
- 9:00AM-10:00AM: Open water swim clinic in Loon Pond
- 10:00AM-10:30AM: Break (snacks provided)
- 10:30AM-11:00 AM: Seminar on cycling tips, techniques and strategies
- 11:00AM-11:15AM: Prepare for bike ride of the course
- 11:15 AM-1:00 PM: Guided ride of most or all of 1 loop of the Patriot bike course
- 1:00PM to 2:00 PM: Lunch (to be provided)
- 2:00PM-2:30PM: Seminar on race day nutrition
- 2:30PM-3:30PM: Running clinic; includes short run of the course
- 3:30PM-4:15PM: Seminar on tapering & mental strategies
- 4:15PM to 4:30PM: Final Q&A
If you have questions feel free to email Elaine Vescio, Vmps head coach for the camp, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mark Walter, Patriot Half Race Director, at info@SunMultisportEvents.com.
ABOVE: Cyclists in a past Patriot Half Training Camp take a break during their ride of the course.